The hamlet of Hillsdale was founded in 1788. At the center of town stands an impressive “Soldiers and Sailors” monument surrounded by a few buildings, including ours, which was erected around 1855. It was built as a retail store and for many years was known as Dimmick’s.
As a classic American General Store, it was a central part of the daily life of Hillsdale during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In the 1950’s the building housed a grocery store and in 1962 became the Hillsdale Sport Shop. In the 1970’s it held the Hillsdale Electronics Shop, and eventually a video store that was open until 2009.
The building has recently undergone a complete restoration, thanks to the incredible work of master builder Adam Flaum. This is the first historic commercial building to be restored in the newly designated “National Historic District” of the Hamlet of Hillsdale. Besides holding the newly established Hillsdale General Store, the building houses a fantastic “farm-to-table” restaurant called the CrossRoads Food Shop.